Hengki Koentjoro is an accomplished photographer, specialising in capturing the spectral domain that lies amidst the shades of black and white. Born in Semarang, Central Java, Indonesia on March 24th 1963, he proceeded to pursue further education in Brooks Institute of Photography in Santa Barbara, California—an expedition that plunged him into the professional arena of video production and fine art photography.
Childhood introduction to camera on his 11th birthday is by now an earnest love affair that involves an elaborate choreography of composition, texture, shapes and lines. Upon his return to Indonesia, Hengki settles in Jakarta as a freelance videographer and video editor for nature documentaries and corporate profiles. Delving into what he believes to be his true purpose in life as journey of expression, he indulges himself in the art of black and white photography on the side.
Exploring along the borderlines of light and shadow, yin and yang. Celebrating complexity in the minimalist. Diving into the spiritual in the physical.
1. 2nd place in Nature Pro category in 2008 PX3 annual photo competition.
2. Honorable Mentions PX3 2008 Photo Competition.
3. Nominees 2008 Black And White Spider Award in Silhouette Category.
4. Merit Award in 2008 Single Image Contest Awards , Black And White Magazine Issue # 56
February 2008, page 189.
5. 2nd in the Asia Without Borders Photography Competition 2009 in the Faces Of The Earth category
6. Art Limited Winner of the February 2009 contest.
7. Merit award 2009, Indonesian Heritage Society Art And Photography Exhibition
8. PX3 Honorable Mention Recipients of 2009 Water Competition
9. Black & White Single Image Contest 2013, for a Spotlight Award.
10. Black and White Spider Awards 2013
2nd place – Merit of Excellent in Silhouette Category
11. Black and White Spider Awards 2013
1st place – Outstanding Achievement in Nature Category
12. Worldwide Photography Gala Awards – WPGA 2013
1st place in Seascape/Underwater Category
13. Paris PX3 2013 – 3rd place in Fine Art Category
14. Kontinent Awards 2013 – Official Selection in Fine Art Projects
15. Hasselblad Master 2014 1st Place Winner in Landscapes/Nature category
16. IPA Photography Awards 2014 – 1st Place in Nature/Aerial Category
17. PX3 Paris Photo Competition 2015 – 1st Prize in Nature Category/Animal
18. PX3 Paris Photo Competition 2015 – 1st Prize in Nature Category/Water
1. 7 – 17 March 2009 Art Photography Exhibition, “Images Of Indonesia”,by Indonesian Heritage Society, Plaza Senayan, Jakarta – Indonesia.
2. 24 Oct – 15 Nov 2009 Photography Contemporer , “Urbantopia”, North Art Space,Pasar Seni Ancol, Jakarta – Indonesia.
3. 9 – 21 Nov 2009 “Asia Without Borders” by Asian Geographic Magazine,Gallery The Arts House, Singapore.
4. 22 June 2010 Santa Lucia, Mostra Benefica di Fotografia, by Loredana Guinicelli, Italy
5. 23 Oct – 6 Nov 2011 “Beyond Photography 2011, by Ciputra Groups,
Ciputra Artpreneur Center, Jakarta – Indonesia
6. May 9 – 20 2012 The Vernissage of the International Photographic Exhibition, “SmallGarden – Galleria d’ Arte Moderna – Villa Reale, Milan – Italy
7. 15 September 2012 Tobin Ohashi Gallery Exhibition, Tokyo – Japan
8. 22 November 2013 Taiwan Photo Expo 2013
9. 28 March 2014 ART | WINE | WATER – Tobin Ohashi Gallery – Japan
10. 16 September 2014 Photokina 2014 – Cologne, Germany
11. 01 November 2014 IPA Best Of Show 2014 – New York, USA
12. 14 November 2014 Fotofever Paris 2014 – Paris, France
13. 27 November 2014 Taiwan Photo Fair 2014 – Taipei, Taiwan
14. 27 – 20 February 2015 “An Eternal Moment” Solo Exhibition – Hasselblad Gallery – Shibuya – Tokyo – Japan
15. 13 July 2015 – See Me – Fifth Annual Exposure Award – Musee du Louvre – Paris
16. 29 October 2015 – AAF Fair – Amsterdam – The Netherlands
17. 13 November 2015 Fotofever Paris 2014 – Paris, France
18. 30 January 2016 – Classic Photographs Los Angeles – USA
19. 26 February 2016 – AAF Fair – Brussels – Belgium
20. 03 March 2016 – Exhibition – Annenberg Space for Photography – USA
21. 15 April 2016 – ADEX : Asia Dive Expo Singapore – Photo/Video Speaker
22. 22 September 2016- Unseen Photo Fair – Amsterdam – The Netherlands
23. 20 October 2016 – Frankfurt Book Fair – Germany
24. 19 November 2016 – Tobin Ohashi Gallery, Roppongi, Tokyo – Japan
25. 27 November 2016 Taiwan Photo Fair 2016 – Taipei, Taiwan
26. 15 April 2017 – Image Nation 2017: A Visual Storytelling – Desenzano del Garda, Italy
27. 12 August 2017 – Grayscale – Torch Gallery Leica Store Lisse – Amsterdam, The Netherlands
28. 10-12 November 2017 – Image Nation – Espace des Arts Sans Frontierès, Paris
Name: Hengki Koentjoro
Birthday: March 1963
College: Brooks Inst. Of Photography
Colour: Black, White and Blue
Movie: The Godfather series
Quote: Photography is an art of observation. It has little to do with the things you see and everything to do with the way you see them. – Elliot Erwitt
For how long have been in photography? Starting when I was 11 years old.
How did you start? My parents gave me a Kodak Pocket camera for my 11 th birthday
How would you define yourself as an artist? I like to express my self thru photography. I try to put my spirit and soul to my photography. The most important aspect in photography is emotion, this way other people can relate and communicate with the viewer.
Where do you find inspiration? Nature is my inspiration, specially the huge ocean.
Who has been the greatest inspiration in your life today? Ansel Adams for his zone system method of controlling the tonality in BW and Michael Kenna for his minimalism style that gives the impression that “less is more”.
What for you is the most enjoyable part of your photography? Exploring the outdoor and appreciating Mother Nature.
Is Brainstorming not the only creative method use to create new concepts? I like to work alone, art to me is way to balance one self and to find sanity in life.
Please could you tell us about photography and digital technology? It does not matter, digital or film, its just technology. The most important is your eyes to express your soul. I find them just the same.
What type of camera do you use most? Sometimes 35 mm format, sometimes medium format. I use Leica, Nikon, Canon and Hasselblad in digital and film.
What is your favorite lens? Wide-angle lens is perfect for landscape format specially 24 and 35mm.
some short questions now…
Art Fairs: Good to promote your works, it is the best way for others to see your original art in person.
Museums: Prestigious place to have your work exhibited but for photography is rather difficult.
Cities: Bali and Jakarta
Travels: Everywhere around the globe where I can find the ocean.
Artists: Michael Kenna and Ansel Adams
Music: Jazz and world music
Cars: Land Rover defender
Drones: DJI Phantom
Who are the artist’s you admire the most?
What are your next projects? Hasselblad just appointed me as their ambassador so I’m traveling around Indonesia to photograph the coastal lines and beaches around the archipelago.
What has been your most memorable assignment and why? All are memorable nothing better than the other.
What are your favorite three images you have shot recently? Photographs of Mangrove trees in the coastal area.
How important is an awesome website for your business? Its important but social medias are more important simply because everybody are using them.They are very accessible and a good way to promote ones work.
What’s the most important quality a photographer needs to have? A good eyes better than good cameras.
Which of your projects has given you the most satisfaction? Most of my proffered photographs deal with the ocean and long exposure technique. I try to portray the serenity and tranquility of nature.
List of your clients? Many interior design house, magazines and private collector.
Who are the photographer’s you admire the most? Ansel Adams and Michael Kenna
What about architects and designers? I don’t know.
What are your next projects? Ocean projects, revealing their beauty and simplicity.
Define Klassik Magazine for the audience? Magnificent!